Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Adventure Begins!


Hello all!   Thank you all for your prayers for safe travel, as we have made it safely to Zimba, Zambia!!  The flights were long, but good!  I was fairly anxious for the first flight to Chicago, but I soon calmed down for the longer flights!

We arrived in Lusaka at 6 a.m. yesterday morning and we made our trek down to Zimba (about 6 hrs away).  We got to see a lot of Zambia and let me just say… beautiful!  We arrived in Zimba about 4 p.m and toured the house and then the hospital.  The hospital is the equivalent of a maze to me at the moment… I’m sure that I will be getting lost several times this week! :)  Day 1 ended with something completely non-medical, but very enjoyable… painting!  The inpatient male ward is in the process of getting a face-lift, so Meg, Britton, Julie, and I helped out by painting, filling holes, scraping paint off windows until about 10 p.m. last night… awesome night full of getting to know new friends!

Our first official day at the hospital was today.  We started out with chapel this morning at 8 a.m.  We were running a few minutes late and as we were walking down to the chapel I heard something truly from Him above:  the voices of these wonderful Zambian people singing praises to the Most High!  It was the most beautiful thing I think I have ever heard!  I could do nothing but smile the entire time!  At the end of the chapel service, the people of the church officially welcomed us in their own special way!  It was incredible!!

I then proceeded with Dr. Joan to the female ward for morning rounds.  It felt great to start learning medicine on the job again!  I was just following Dr. Joan this today, but still learning an absolute ton!  I’m excited to really practice my physical exam skills… and to learn how to really read a chest X-ray!  :)  

Tomorrow should be fun… I think we will be let loose… we’ll see! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment